The top of the line, tres cher, New York Review of Books Personal Ads run somewhere around $100 – $200.
If you you are on budget – do you dare try a ‘Free” Dating site? Absolutely!
Free: Everyone’s Favorite Price
One reason Craigslist is so popular is the price: free. Do you get what you paid for? Like Plenty of Fish and OkCupid, the two other leading free dating sites, the ‘free factor’ does attract tens of thousands of people. All kinds of people: some serious, some voyeurs, some bored marrieds – looking for a lark or a tryst, and a lot of some brand new to dating who are testing the waters.
Craigslist and the “Anonymous Factor”
The vast majority of posters on Craigslist refrain from posting a photo. And, frankly, one never knows if the information posted is authentic or accurate. Be aware: there are those dullards who troll and trawl the halls of Craigslist – sending off an inane comment – in a hit and run fashion. Avoid engaging with these dead ends.
You Ought To Be In Pictures
You will quickly learn the phrase, “Your pic gets mine” is part of the site’s vocabulary and a good modus operandi. Exchanging a current photo with a potential date is expected. Passing off that old photo of you from 10 years ago, or a photo of you clad in a hat, sunglasses, taken from afar – not a good idea. Why waste time being coy and inauthentic? Have a friend take several photos of you – and develop a small collection of great photos for online dating purposes.
It Only Takes a Minute…
To place a Craigslist ad requires little time and a little imagination. Typical ads on Craigslist are 50 words – or less. Best advice? Choose your words carefully and take your time. Try it once or twice, or not at all.
Research: Spend some time looking at Craigslist ads in three different cities- for instance, San Francisco, New York City and Des Moines. Take the best – leave the rest.
The following is a sampling of ads placed by “Women ages 50 to 70 looking for Men in San Francisco” – (mildly edited to alleviate boredom)
Women Seeking Men 50-70
· I am a talker … need a ‘listener‘ Looking for someone to be a ‘spiritual coach’ and I the same to the other so we both can get to the HIGHER realms and enter into heaven. Of course, dating, but we’ll know when the Chemistry strikes!
· I am mellow. I am divorced, have a 17-year-old daughter. I am at a point in my life where I will have lots of free time. I want someone to share this time with. I enjoy just being with someone special–shopping for food, cooking, hanging out in the yard and/or visiting with friends
· Want: nice, witty, fun loving, gentleman for summer activities. Hello there. I gave it some thought and decided, yeah, why not put an add in. Beats spending the summer alone. I like walks, talks, the beach, barbeques, and baseball, Frisbee, camping and fishing. You?
· Together I should soon find you… to do it with often. You are a swm, 49+, healthy, fun, out going, caring. Yes to 420,smoking, drinking. You and I can enjoy getting to know each other… We will want to know if we are good together soon and start enjoying often.
East Coast Girls are Hip? New York
Perhaps California girls are more languid and extravagant with expansive thoughts…Women in New York seem to have a whole different vibe when it comes to writing their Craigslist Personals:
New York Women Seeking Men 50 – 70 Sample Craigslist ads
- I have EFS I am 5’4, 110 lbs. I was born abroad, but won’t say where because of ethnic fetish syndrome. I am a youthful 51 looking for a man in age range 45-60. Although I am beautiful, pretty, and cute – it’s really up to you.
- I have a shopping list for you: What is most important is that you are very intelligent, for I have an active mind. You should be driven and achievement-oriented. You should be insight-oriented and consistent. I hope you make me laugh.
- I am a Siren – hear me roar: ‘I’m sure other women post that they are all “angels”, and want a man who can appreciate them, I know better. Sure, I can be a siren, a vixen, a temptress, and a flirt; step aside wallflowers, this girl is the real deal. I don’t even need a push-up bra.. my witty-yet- sarcastic brain and my multi-talented way, win you over.
- No to Drama- Yes to Nike: Moi, suddenly single wf, done with the drama. Re-thinking monogamy are you? When faced with all things tempting – Nike says: just do it. I will fulfill your needs. You will be satisfied.
Many happy people have connected on Craigslist.
Don’t hurry. Exchange the emails, speak on the phone – at length- ask questions and, if there is a comfort level established, meet for coffee in a very public place.
It’s an experience and remember, no matter what the price: buyer beware.
“Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.
Oliver Wendell Holmes
San Francisco Dating@50 Examiner, Page Larkin, welcomes your feedback, questions and queries at email@example.com
Don’t miss a single Page Larkin column- hit the nefarious Subscribe button at the top of the page.