Is that all there is?
Americans have been whipped into a shopping lather with a recent tsunami of newspaper inserts and rabid radio and TV blitzes. Spend money now – while words like foreclosure, job loss, recession, recovery, crisis, cutbacks and budget are dancing in our heads?
Aggressive retailers are lighting the fires for conspicuous consumption and fanning the flames with a massive Black Friday media blitz. Conversely, there is a movement afoot called Buy Nothing Day, to put the brakes on spending and avoid the ill-fated ‘shop until you drop’ malady.
Kermit was right; “it is hard being green.”
Very few of us have ‘the green’ we used to have. More lack than black, Friday.
Thanksgiving can a time for family, friends, fun, and eating and volunteering, and helping the less fortunate.
Here are Top Ten Fun Free Friday Things to do Around
1. Span -Walk across the Golden Gate Bridge
2. Make a Fort – Explore the Presidio, Fort Point, Fort Mason, and Fort Baker
3. Click -take a photo journey to the Mission District and photograph the murals
4. Play - continue a day of play: jigsaw puzzles, charades, movie marathons, football…
5. Explore- Walk around neighborhood. Meet a neighbor – or two…
6. Shift Gears- go for a bike ride, stroll, hike, back-pack…
7. Merge -DVDs have a movie night with another friend’ watch all your old DVD’s; go to the library and get new ones…
8. Step it Up- Research the Famous Ttaircases and steps of San Francisco – Get the book – at the library and start with the first walk
9. Pack – a picnic with some of those leftovers and hit the beach, forest, park and relax…
10. Purge - Donate to One Warm Coat – During the football marathon, clean out closets.
Men’s clothing can be donated to “Out of the Closet” at California at Polk Street (free drop-off parking lot) Women’s can go to the excellent woman’s shelter, Casa de las Madres, via the Community Thrift store on Valencia St.
Happy hearty holidays.
|Getting in the pink:”Picasso had his pink period and his blue period. I am in my blonde period right now.” Hugh Hefner|