The Top 10 Places to Meet Men in San Francisco
Where does a woman in San Francisco go to meet great guys?
My dear, generally speaking, single men are not hanging out at the yarn store, yoga classes, cooking classes or at a spirituality weekend.
Remember the Bikini-beach-boy-meets-girl movie “Where the Boys Are”? It doesn’t require a GPS, compass or a map to locate ‘A few great men’ in San Francisco.
Here are the Top Ten Places to Meet Men:
1. AT&T Park– We’re talking the San Francisco Giants here.
Giants Baseball Games – There are more single men at one Giants game than all of Union Street on any four Friday nights combined. You do the math. Baseball is bigger, better and more entertaining than, even, Brad Pitt. At a Giants game you get a whole team (25 men on a team – 9 on the field). These athletes are all at the top of their game, literally. In addition, you get shopping for T-shirts, accessories, hats, granted, Orange / Black is the complete color palette. There is a Jumbo-tron for even more sensory overload- exciting music, food and drink everywhere and a totally convivial atmosphere. What’s not to like?
2. REI – Guys are into verbs.
They run, jump, jog, hike, climb, camp, spelunk, swing, hit, paddle, row, lift, toss, throw, thump, thwack, bounce and batter…You get the idea. And what better store to buy all those handy objects to do verbs with but, REI.
REI is the ultimate sporting goods store. Also see: Sports Basement and Sports Authority.
The strategy, ladies, is to ask questions. Generally, guys who are at a sporting goods store generally know from table tennis and fly rods and avalanche transceivers. Care about a carabiner? You’ll learn ‘quickdraw’ has nothing to do with guns and that information on the Seven Simple Machines you learned in sixth grade may come in handy ( pulley, lever, wedge, etc.) If you want to know the difference between tents and tense –ask.
3. Wine Tasting Events – See The Pacific Sun, the Pink Section and Examiner.com for great updates on the 4-1-1- for Wine Events. We are so lucky to live in Northern California and to have Napa and Sonoma mere miles away. Wine can be a pleasure, a hobby, a passion and a necessity. Well known fact: Single men flock to wine tasting events.
Fort Mason has Pinot Noir Days and the Tapas Society Wine Event coming up… Remember in college you asked every guy you met “What’s your major?” Now the query of the age is: “What’s your favorite wine?”
4. Dog Walking – Crissy Field, Fort Funston, Stern Grove: I know a woman who borrowed her neighbor’s Black Lab to use as a prop when she walked through North Beach, and that’s how she met her beau. Yes, a new meaning to ‘Attention getting devices’. Dogs – not just man’s best friend, anymore.
5. Andronico’s/Mollie Stones – Mondays and Friday night – 6pm – 9pm.Mollie Stones and Andronico’s are teeming with single men. Women tend to shop on Saturdays and Wednesdays – and men tend to shop on Friday/Monday (Yes, Binkie, this applies to Trader Joe’s, Rainbow and Whole Foods).
6. California Academy of Sciences – Thursday Nights at the Academy –No other place on place on Earth has a planetarium, an amazing natural history museum, an incredible aquarium and a 4-story rain forest under one roof. The Academy is breathtaking, dazzling and awe-inspiring.
Look For Top 10 Places to Meet Men Part Two
Mae West said, “It is better to be looked over than overlooked.”
I heartily nominate her for Patron Saint of Keen Observations and Irreverence. Odds are, she would tell you to get off the couch and out of the house in order to meet your playmate, soul mate or new best friend.