Boyfriends: are you making a list – checking it twice?
In college, we played the “My Boyfriend Must Have” game.
We were a bunch of girls in a dorm – fueled by boredom and Sangria.
We would make lists and dream up the perfect boyfriend…
Our answers ran the gamut from: My Boyfriend Must Have: a cool car, a job, a 4.0, a credit card, no roommates, soft lips and warm hands – to a passport and a trust-fund.
Naturally, our answers changed with time – cool cars became less important.
One Man’s Shopping List – 2012
Crystal, 46, recently divorced and new to online dating sent me a a ‘must have list from her new sweetheart. He had created a very specific “My Perfect Mate Must Have List.” She asked me my professional opinion, was he “a keeper” or, too controlling? Take a look at this list-
‘The Top Ten Must Have’ list from “Buff Walnut Creek Biker”
My perfect mate must have:
- A healthy and fit body which delights
- You must maintain loving relations with long term and close friends, and family.
- You must love children; you meet the challenges of parenting with empathy, humor, and wisdom
- To keep up with me you have to have an active mind; you must have resolved the key issues of your life.
- Must be emotionally very wise and comfortable
- Must be emotionally warm, generous, and accessible
- You must be financially solvent.
- You must come from a happy home life, with parents who were happy and loved you.
- You’ve must have been married, and know what it takes to make such a lifetime commitment work.
Is he Mr. Right or Listless?
Without wasting any time, I advised Crystal to delete and move on. Any man with a shopping list this demanding and specific – seeking a Barbie Doll, is barely worth the time it takes to hit the delete button.