Right off the boat. Long-time-no-date. A little chicken…
Are you Suddenly Single? Somewhere around 40-the-new-50? And open to meeting and dating and being social, again? Good for you!
For some of us, getting back into the swing of dating, flirting, even talking to another single, attractive person can be scary and daunting.
Perhaps you’ve heard dating horror stories; friends have warned you dating today is far more complex – and even dangerous – than it was a decade or two ago:
- The playing field isn’t level
- The rules have really changed
- The game is faster- a whole lot faster, Binkie
- and the uniforms are a way shorter. Way. The sweet halcyon days of courting and being coy are as out-dated as hot pants and polyester.
Afraid to make a move? There are myriad reports about dating fears, frights and trepidations. There are even dating phobias which are: “irrational, intense, persistent fear of certain nouns (persons, places, things)’.
1. Isolophobia – fear of being alone
2. Athazagoraphobia- fear of being forgotten
3. Gamophobia – fear of marriage
4. Mageirocophobia – fear of cooking
5. Sexophobia – fear of the opposite sex
6. Gynophobia – fear of women
7. Hominophobia -fear of men
8. Clinophobia – fear of going to bed
9. Homilophobia – fear of sermons
10. Nyctophobia- fear of the dark or night
“ The only thing we have to fear is fear itself – nameless, unreasoning, unjustified, terror which paralyzes needed efforts…”Franklin D Roosevelt
Flirt Early – flirt often – Blame Cupid
Go on, make a move. Get off the couch, push away from the computer, and go outside and play. What are you afraid of?
Face your fears and they disappear like those tiny bubbles in a glass of champagne.
Whether your are 30 or 50 – Male or Female – A Simple Solution: Send out a few Valentines ~ to every sweetheart, sweetie, crush, object of your flirtations and say Cupid made me do it! Cheers.
Page Larkin San Francisco Examiner at 50